By Carolyn "Rusti" Eisenberg and Prasannan Parthasarathi, H-PAD Legislative Coorinators
House of Representatives
- Last week, the House of Representatives passed H.Con. Res.83, Iran War Powers Resolution by a margin of 224-194. They were flooded by calls from constituents urging them to pass this measure.
- Now pending in the House are two stronger measures, both endorsed by the Progressive Caucus. One of these is Barbara Lee’s proposal to repeal the 2002 Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF), which has been misused by all three administrations to justify military action in several countries.
- The second is a resolution introduced by Ro Khanna (D-Calif) to bar Pentagon funding for military force against Iran without Congressional authorization. This is matched with Bernie Sanders’ bill in the Senate.
Helpful to call your representatives and ask them to support the Lee and Khanna Resolutions
On the Senate side
- A companion Iran War Powers Resolution (S.J. Res.68) is pending in the Senate. Sponsor Tim Kaine has been modifying the language to attract some Republican support.
- Although not as strong as we would like it to be, it is still important to pass this measure with the maximum number of votes. If you have not already done so, it is helpful to call your two Senators and urge them to vote Yes. Click here for list of co-sponsors:
- When calling your Senators, be sure to ask that they endorse as well an even stronger resolution sponsored by Bernie Sanders, S.3159 No War with Iran Act, which would block all federal funds to be used in military action against Iran. Click here for tt and co-sponsors of the Sanders Resolution:
To reach your Senators and Representatives, call the Capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121 or 202-225-3121
Links to Recent Articles of Interest