H-PAD Alert: October 27, 2020
Mobilize to Prevent Trump and Allies from Stealing the Election
While the possibility of Trump winning re-election is receding, he and his rightwing, racist allies continue to make veiled—and not-so-veiled threats to disrupt and steal the election. While time is short, forces across the country are mobilizing to prevent this from happening.
We in Historians for Peace and Democracy need to join this effort!
The growing campaign to prevent the rightist authoritarian theft of the election is broad, often spontaneous, largely regionalized, and frequently below the media radar. But it is significant and rapidly growing, and needs immediate support. Progressive labor unions and organizations are playing an important role, and the possibility of the general strike has even (optimistically) been raised (see links below).
But perhaps the most effective national organizing in this campaign was launched by Indivisible and Stand Up America and is called Protect the Results (PTR). The PTR website and the website of Common Dreams provide a growing, interactive listing of events being planned November 4 across the country—currently more than 170 such events are cited. The PTR website also lists the hundred plus organizational members of its coalition, and provides resources for mobilizing.
SO WE CALL ON EVERYONE TO GET INVOLVED IMMEDIATELY IN OPPOSING THE THREATENED THEFT OF THE ELECTION BY JOINING PROTECT THE RESULTS (https://protecttheresults.com/) OR ANOTHER PARALLEL EFFORT.
Executive Committee, Historians for Peace and Democracy
For more information on this campaign:
- Protect the Results, https://protecttheresults.com/
- Indivisible, https://indivisible.org/statement/protect-results-expands-80-groups-coalition-prepares-mobilize-should-trump-contest
- Common Dreams, https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/16/170-protect-results-events-planned-nov-4-pro-democracy-groups-vow-ensure-voters-have#
- Rochester Labor Council resolution calling for a general strike: Defending American Democracy and Opposing Authoritarian Rule, https://roclaborfed.org/news/rochester-labor-council-defending-american-democracy-and-opposing-authoritarian-rule
- Jacobin magazine, A General Strike to Stop Trump? Some Unions Are Saying It’s Time, https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/10/trump-elections-afl-cio-rochester-labor-council-general-strike
- Truthout: Labor Prepares for Last-Minute General Strike If Trump Tries to Steal Election, https://truthout.org/articles/labor-prepares-for-last-minute-general-strike-if-trump-tries-to-steal-election/